Nothing beats a warm, sticky bun fresh from the oven. Sweet and zingy, our healthier take on the Chelsea buns is perfect served at breakfast, for elevenses or as a special teatime treat.
Marmalade Cinnamon Buns
For the dough:
450g strong white bread flour, sifted
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp ground nutmeg
280ml semi skimmed milk
22g butter, cut into small pieces
23g vegetable spread
7g packet easy blend dried yeast
For the filling:
50g Streamline Less Sugar Thin Cut Orange Marmalade
11/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
50g butter, softened
50g vegetable spread
For the topping:
50g Streamline Less Sugar Thin Cut Orange Marmalade plus and extra 12 tsp
30g Demarara sugar
- For the dough: mix together the flour, salt, sugar and nutmeg in a bowl. Make a well.
- Place the milk, butter and vegetable spread in a small saucepan and over a very gentle heat melt the butter, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. Add the yeast, and mix until dissolved. Pour the milk mixture into the well in the flour, and gently bring the dough together. Once it starts coming together, take it out of the bowl and place it on your work surface. Don’t add any flour. With the heel of your hand push the dough into the work surface and ‘stretch and tear’ for 8 minutes, until elasticated and velvety. Return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise at room temperature for about 1-11/2 hours.
- For the filling: meanwhile mix together the Marmalade, cinnamon, butter and vegetable spread until blended.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and roll out the dough to a 40cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, within 1 cm of the edge of one of the long edges. Brush the uncovered dough with water.
- Roll up the dough lengthways, gently pressing the filling-free edge into the dough to seal it.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper. Using a sharp serrated knife cut the roll into 12 pieces and place them cut side up on the tray. Gently open up each roll with your fingers, then leave to rise at room temperature for about 40 minutes, until risen and just touching each other.
- For the topping: mix the flour and 50g Marmalade together in a bowl, until mixture resembles small pebbles. Stir in sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Place a teaspoonful of marmalade in the centre of each bun and sprinkle over topping.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, covering with foil if browning to much, until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly and enjoy warm or cold.
|Nutrition (per serving)|
|of which Saturates||4.6g|
|of which Sugars||10.9g|