With fruit, nuts and warming spices, this festive log brings all the flavours of Christmas. It looks impressive but it’s actually very easy to make. A gorgeous and delicious alternative to a Christmas Pudding during the festive season, especially if you’re not a fan of boozy desserts or want something a little less sweet.
Christmas fruit and nut log cake
50g Dried cranberries
125 ml Orange juice
100g Almond flour
100g Semolina or wheat flour (alternatively you can use white flour as well)
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
30g Low fat butter (alternatively normal butter or dairy-free vegan butter will work as well)
200g Streamline Less Sugar Strawberry Jam
100g Cashew nuts, chopped
1/2 tsp Almond extract
Zest of one lemon
Olive oil spray (to spray the tin)
This recipe is for a 30 x 10 x 10cm log tin
Pre-heat oven to 160c, gas mark 3.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dried cranberries and raisins; pour the orange juice and let the dried fruit soak up the liquid for about 10 min.
- Whisk the eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour and your choice of semolina or wheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Combine with the egg mix, add the butter and whisk for another minute.
- Add the strawberry jam and mix well.
- Combine with soaked up dried fruits, cashews, almond extract and lemon zest.
- Spray the log tin with some olive oil and pour in the batter.
- Bake for about 25-30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.