Gloriously fruity and packed with flavour, this baked camembert recipe is a clear winner when it comes to entertaining friends or dinner for two . With a few healthier twists, it will be the talk of the table!
Fruity Baked Camembert with Garlic Toasts
2 x 250g boxed French Camembert
Sprigs of fresh thyme or fresh rosemary
50-75g Streamline Less Sugar Strawberry Jam
Good pinches of chilli flakes
25-50g walnut pieces, broken into smaller pieces
1x wholemeal loaf (seeded loaf or sourdough works well too)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
75g garlic infused olive oil
2-3 tbsp fresh chopped mixed herbs, flat leaf parsley, thyme
Fresh rosemary, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/Gas 5. Line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment paper and set aside. Remove the Camembert from their boxes and discard wrappers and stickers. Place back in their boxes or small ovenproof dishes. Place the lids under the boxes for support and arrange on the baking tray.
- Using a sharp knife score the tops of each cheese in a criss-cross pattern. Then using the tip of the knife push the thyme or rosemary into the cheeses. Spread the Strawberry jam over the top of the cheeses. Sprinkle over chilli flakes, if using. Bake for about 20 minutes or until wobbly in the centres.
- Meanwhile slice the bread and arrange on a baking sheet. Mix together the garlic, oil and herbs in a bowl and brush over both sides of the slices of bread. Place in the oven below the Camembert and bake for about 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Spread the walnuts on remaining baking sheet and bake (place on a grill under the cheese) for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the cheese and bread from the oven. Arrange cheese on serving plates or plate with prepared bread. Scatter over walnuts and fresh rosemary.
Serve with fresh fruit such as figs, pears or apples.
For Valentine’s, use ready sliced sourdough bread and a heart shape cutter and cut out heart shape pieces of bread. Brush with oil mixture and bake as above. Also serve 1 Camembert between two.
Tip: choose a French camembert as these are lower in fat
|Per serving||491 kcal|
|of which saturates||10.9g|
|of which sugars||4.8g|